View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
jimmyJlover

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Curious if you have decided to start AA? Or what things you are actively doing to have your sobriety and be off to such a good start?
Thank you for the feedback. I have not been to AA yet. I say "yet" because I am leaning that way and looking at some local spots to attend. But I am really nervous about going, not entirely sure why. If I ask myself, the only reasoning would be the feeling of commitment. I don't want to do anything half assed per say. That is really not a good answer I know.

A few things I currently do for early sobriety are; using SR as a tool of communication, listening to podcasts (RE Recovery Elevator), and staying in tune with this "thing" as an alcohol problem that requires a constant reminder of what it was like to drink. I often think back of all the negatives drinking gave me, knowing the health consequences.

I truly believe that somewhere I crossed a line of drinking and suddenly I was not in control. Yeah sure, I could "control" my choice to drink, I'm not dumb in realizing I had a choice. But often it felt like I didn't have a choice. Not if I wanted to stave off the nausea, headaches, anxiety, chest palpitations, restlessness, insecurities, dizziness, and physical pain alcohol would leave me with if I went too long without it. F that, I don't want that life again.

I knew over the last year my drinking was a problem, I just gave into it. There was no asking myself, "am I an alcoholic?", I had already done that years ago. This time I planned a taper and knew I had to stick with it. I knew in my heart I was not this person. I had numerous goals; career, physical, personal, hobby, etc. that I knew would NEVER be accomplished if I continued to drink.

For example, a promotion with work. If I continued to drink, I wasn't going to be able to wake and be attentive in the early morning as needed, give 100% of myself, be around social situations without intense anxiety, and most of all...I would never be able to miss a day/night of drinking, so if any of my newly challenged goals required time away from drinking, I was screwed. Drinking was inhibiting normal everyday activities, prohibiting me from thinking I could accomplish even the faintest of a goal.

Circling back to the AA question. One thing I have started to believe over the last 2 months is that I need to pick something for a foundation to stay sober, and adapt to whatever that model is. There are numerous ways to stay sober, I need to pick one. I do believe in the philosophy of AA. Noted in my writing, I am powerless if I drink alcohol. I don't know the rest which is why I need to find a model of living and go with it. I need some direction for sure.

If anyone read this whole post, wow...you're awesome lol. Thanks to everyone.