View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

Pretty much anyone who has read my contributions to the AA, other programs - or ANY program- option knows that I have found success to date with a very dedicated AA program. I'm happy to share in a PM more on that - here are a few thoughts, pulled succinctly from above comments and my immediate thoughts on some things said.

Hearing "you're not ready yet," made me furious for a long time. But those who told me that were spot on. That is something each of us has to honestly, sincerely, absolutely accept and then act on if we want to get sober.

Do you want to get sober for good?

I had many "reasons" to rail against AA for a long time - none of them well-founded, and all because I wanted to keep drinking.

Truly working any program means a specific, strategic, active approach. AVRT and SMART people and those whose recovery centers on SR can chime in with what this means to them. I can say that I had to fully commit to AA - not just attend meetings - by doing the things recommended specifically starting with 90 meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor, and start working the steps.

Eddie's post has some significant points about AA that better express what folks in meetings sometimes say (like some old timers - I've seen plenty who are basically just mad old men who simply don't drink, and others who are there to share the good promises of the program that can come true for folks getting started).

Bottom line, I absolutely believe we can't do this completely alone. Anyone who finds an active path to getting and staying sober is a big time winner in life and makes this world a better place.

Hope you stay with us and begin to forge a fulfilling sober life for yourself.