Thread: 365 days for JJ
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ilovemysonjj

Update for my SR family

Hello beloved SR family! I wanted to give an update after having a miracle moment with JJ on Christmas. He has continued in his sobriety and excelled at his job, and now manages a rehab in the beautiful community of La Jolla. He has been saving money and has accumulated over $4,200 in the bank that is in my name (he needs to take care of some stuff in order to get his own account, so baby steps).

He was very generous this year and bought all of us and his girlfriend some lovely thoughtful gifts and then gave us the best gift I could ever ask for.

When JJ stole from us back in 2011 and 2012, there were restitution orders over $12,000 of the jewelry, cash and other things that he pawned and we could not recover as a result of his thefts. They have never been paid and for the last 7 years, My husband and I have put this on the back burner. It felt like the losses would never be recouped and since JJ started really taking sobriety seriously, I really forgot about this as an item of importance.

JJ let his Dad and I know he is financially able to start to repay us, and will be starting a repayment of $250.00 to $400.00 per month in January to the courts that will then come to us. He has spoken to their office and arranged this plan and "activated" his account again.

The huge significance here is that I am seeing his recovery in action. He is taking all steps of restoration and both my husband and I were so proud of him. At the same time, I didn't once think to say "don't worry about repaying us". The reason is, he NEEDS to do this as part of his recovery. He is making amends and it feels so perfect to allow him to do so without guilt or pressure, I simply hugged him and indicated how good things lead to better things.

We have been so blessed with JJ back in our lives, my husband, my son and my daughter have their JJ back. I feel so incredibly fortunate to be able to appreciate seeing the huge difference sobriety has made for my son. I know God has worked miracles of healing, freedom, restoration and grace on our family.

To all who are dealing with addicted loved ones, always keep the hope alive. They can recover and they can restore themselves if we just love them and support them while they are working their sobriety, and love them from a distance when they are not.

PS: This money is a huge blessing because we have sent out daughter to Arizona for nursing school and the cost of the condo can be offset by JJ's contributions!

Happy New year to one and all.
Hugs,
Teresa