View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jimmyJlover View Post
I am nervous about setting foot in an AA meeting. First, because I'm afraid of seeing someone I know and being outed the first week. I really don't want that. Second, I just don't want to feel ashamed everyday going to a "meeting". I don't know if that is even true, probably just my inner self talking negative. Perhaps I am afraid to go because suddenly sh&t gets real...
A lot of self talk goes along with addiction, and yes - it's a bit scary when things "get real". For most of us, that's really the most difficult part of quitting - having to face all the realities that we tried to excape/avoid/run away from by drinking. And there's really no other way around it than just doing it -even though it doesn't feel good at all. But just like anything, things will definitely improve over time. And you'll also find that you are far more capable of dealing with life up front when you are sober.

As far as being "outed", just remember that every single person there at a meeting is there for the same reason as you. Their anonymity is just as important them as yours is to you, and it will be respected as such.