View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Scott, in this case poison matters. You can't "accept" that you can't have food. And believe me, almost any kind of food can trigger a food addict.

And, actually, disciplined control vs. "I am helpless over" is an important factor to deal with an eating disorder.
Sorry, perhaps I didn't word my response carefully. With an eating disorder the "poison" would more likely refer to the volume/type of food or the binging/purching cycles and not actually removing food from the equation completely - that would have dire effects of course.

I don't have an eating disorder myself but have immediate family members who do so I definitely understand the seriousness of the condition.

But I still think that it's important to accept the reality of addition or any kind of disorder before one can make steps to improve. I am diagnosed GAD and health anxiety and I had to accept that there is simply something different about the way my body reacts to stress in order to start getting help for example. Obviously I can't remove stress from my life completely, but I can learn different ways to deal with it and change my lifestyle.