Thread: 42
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wholesome

How's it going HFA?

Algo was good at describing the AV tactic you are describing about some future event where you may not be "safe". I remember when I quit I had a wedding coming that my Beast obsessed over, it was inconceivable that I would go to my best friends wedding and not tie one on! It was lousy too because it was supposed to be about her and my AV made it all about ITs deprivation. The obsession was very real back then, but I didn't drink, and I learned that all that head noise was just smoke and mirrors..... paper tigers.

It will always be right now, so there is no need to worry about some future time because once you get there you will experience it as right now and right now you are in control and you never drink. My AV used time against me a lot, the future, and the past, IT would hold up my past failures as proof of why I wouldn't be able to abstain forever. I had to learn to ignore that voice and trust myself again, no small feat when I'd been trying and failing at quitting drinking for a decade. But that's what I had to do, trust myself that no matter where I went, or what I did, or how I felt, that I was capable of not drinking. Any doubt in your capability now or in the future is AV and you can feel free to ignore those thoughts. AVRT is quitting with an attitude!

This was my quitting song. Cheesy but hey I'm a cheeseball!