Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Yes to AlAnon!
Here is the website for DC/Maryland:
https://www.marylanddc-alanon.org

Sometimes the website for AlAnon can be wonky but she can also search for Alanon websites by county or her specific town.

Unfortunately there is nothing she can do stop him from drinking. Of course you cannot mention AA to him, because he is unique and it won't work for him (a common defensive saying that we've all heard from our active alcoholics! Just picture a duck quacking when an alcoholic starts telling you why effective programs don't work for them) That;s just their disease quacking away, no point in engaging in an argument.

But she can certainly get the focus back on herself and save herself from being dragged down. That's what AlAnon helped me to do and it has helped millions of others....I hope the program works for her too...of course therapy and books about alcoholism are also really helpful, books like "Codependent No More" by Melodie Beattie and "Under the Influence" by Milam and Ketcham were 2 books that really helped me turn my head around and start getting out of the misery.

Peace,
B.