Old 12-15-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

Hi Snowyclo. I have twenty months of sobriety, I don't know if that is long enough to meet your criteria for long term. This is my third rodeo, my two previous attempts lasted about three months apiece.

There is a phenomenon called "kindling" where everything gets worse every time you relapse. The drinking gets worse, the hangovers get worse, and the withdrawals get worse. My first attempt at sobriety was in the summer of 2014 and my withdrawal was surprisingly not bad considering how long and heavy I'd been drinking. My third withdrawal which was April of last year was EXPONENTIALLY worse. I stubbornly did it cold turkey without medical care and I honestly thought I was going to die.

The progressively worse withdrawals scared me straight this time around, I don't have another one in me. But then something beautiful happened...whereas I was half-heartedly trying to quit drinking in the past I was now 100% committed to a recovery program since my life was at stake.

I don't know if this helps you and perhaps the idea of getting scared straight is not what you'd like to hear but that is my story.