View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Ellie May 1001

Originally Posted by Ihadmyfill View Post
A cucumber can become a pickle, but once it's a pickle it can not go back to being a cucumber!
Oh I LOVE this!! So true!

To the OP. The person you speak about has a VERY serious problem. What you (I mean people in general not you personally) decide to call it is irrelevant.

My first therapist said to me 'If your drinking is causing you problems you have a drink problem'. Pretty simple really - call it what you will it amounts to the same thing.

And as for the question can anyone who has drank like this previously find moderation - in my opinion (and my first therapists opinion) no. Moderation is the holy grail of every alcoholic / alcohol abuser / problem drinker that ever drew breath. The fact that moderation is a goal shows that there is an issue - it should be a given.

Also (and this is what I will be telling myself from hence forth until I draw my last breath) is moderation really what I want? It isn't I want oblivion. And even if it was it is worth the risk? Obviously not. And given that I have sought out the holy grail of moderation for over 25 years with ZERO success (and increasingly serious consequences) what are the chances of this time being different? None.

I am therefore simply a pickle.