View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
LaceyDallas

Originally Posted by FutureYesterday View Post
Thank you for the replies! I would like to quote, but I’m not very good at this on my phone.

So, I agree with everything you say and to answer the user who was asking why do I need some strangers’ opinions, well...I suppose that discussing possible outcomes makes me a bit calmer. Not that I wouldn’t know. I think I just needed some personal stories.

The lname” I give to the problem
has to do more exactly with the outcomes and the capacity to drink moderately. Because that’s the question after all, and if you read about it , things tend to go into the extremes: some people claim full abstinence is the only way to go, others that moderation is doable.

Probably, I need your thoughts on this to prepare. His admissions were in a psychiatric hospital simply because he couldn’t stop drinking. He would stay intoxicated for up to 2 weeks, until someone managed to get him to the hospital to wake up. He now look at that like a far away “stage”
in his life saying that he now has no urge to drink, he doesn’t even need to finish the glass, he doesn’t think about it and he’ll stay away from strong alcohol as he knows he can’t handle it. That’s the typical alcoholic speech, right? But I don’t understand how a guy who would black-out in a few hours less than 10 months ago and inly stop in hospital, is able to stop now after one drink. I know for sure he’s telling the truth and he goes to work and has a life. Actually, he’s the one asking: am I an alcoholic after all? Don’t they say I should have a physical dependence, that my brain is wired differently. How come the urge is gone now?
Of course I asked why does he need even that one beer. Answer: “one to sleep better, never 2 because I’m jittery the next day.”

As you all said, that’s a person about wich I care a lot, I helped him in this recovery journey, but, from various reasons, I decided to basically step away. But I’m alone with
all this questions, and I’m just wondering: is it possible ?

How long will it take for him to go back?
No one knows how long it will take. I don't bet in life, but if I did, I would bet on this. I've seen it happen too many times

The problem comes, once the horse is out of the stable, there's no way to get it back. Once he crosses the line and he's drunk- even once- he can do irreversible damage to his body or his life. Why chance it for that one beer? Take an OTC sleep aid or do an extra workout. But, the solution HAS to be alcohol- even with the risks involved. That is alcoholic thinking.

Personally, I'd steer clear. It's going to get ugly sooner or later, and codependency is a rough life.