Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I was pretty sick and was advised by mydoctmy (psychiatrist ant a dual diagnosis mood disorder and substance abuse clinic) that their only recommend treatment was medical detox and at least 30 days of inpatient rehab. So I did it. Rehab was 12 Step based. I attended various 12 Step meetings then supplemented with SMART. Unfortunately the only regular SMART meeting near me consisted of a core group with significant mental health issues that weren't a good fit, so I continued online.

What concerns me about your question is that you continue to drink despiye meetings. My experience was that once I admitted to myself that one drink would lead back to addictive drinking and drugging, and the only solution was to take drugs and alcohol off the table .

Meetings of whatever sort do not of themselves get and keep you sober. YOU need to do that. After that (basically 12 Step 1) whatever methods you use are a crucial means to keep you accountable to yourself and others for your sobriety. The method and frequency are whatever you feel is sufficient to maintain your goal ..lifetime sobriety.