View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I have raised this topic so many times. That rehab is all about them, they are #1. I get it, they are the patient. HOWEVER, when you choose to bring a child into this world, you make them #1. It's a shame an addict is unwilling to recognize that. Ugh.
I hope I'm not derailing anything, but during a family counseling thing at AXH's rehab, xSIL reported that the counselor actually asked him about his own childhood. When AXH responded that it was good, the counselor asked about DS's childhood. According to xSIL, AXH responded with DS deserves a good one, too, "I guess."

MCE, as others have noted, I don't hear anything like you took the bait. I don't know if it's the same for others, but I know I was so used to always trying to consider what AXH needed or wanted in order to try to head off issues and relegating what we needed to lower on the priority list, that the idea of standing up for myself and DS felt like trouble and actually doing so felt very like standing at the apex of a mountain and screaming. It wasn't. It was a fairly reasonable response based on the facts and events.