Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by mirrorball View Post
Just checking in to let y'all know I'm still clean! Four months today. Barely having any cravings, no connections to any sources and not missing it!
Sober life is definitely better than cokehead life... I have no intentions to do blow ever again. I got that evil ****** to release its grip on me and life is a better place as a result!
Was reading through this thread and was wondering....glad I found this near the end!

At just about 18 months sober. Just got back from a trip to Australia. Trigger at the airport when I passed a bar...habit for years was "I'm starting my vacation," have 2-3 drinks, get on the plane, have 2-3 more, take some benzos to knock me out because "How else do you get through a 14 hour flight," arrive disoriented and feeling like crap.

There wasn't the slightest chance I was actually going to indulge that. I thought "Oh, a craving, glad I don't do that anymore" and found that the entire process, like pretty much everything, was WAY better sober. Had a row to myself, slept 7 hours, breezed through customs, and spent the entire day happy and active and didn't even go to sleep until around 11pm.

The difference between AVRT orthodoxy and my journey is that I started by getting Step 1 in rehab, and in three weeks went from "I'll stop while I'm in here" to "I'll stop for 90 days" to "I'll stop for a year" to "Rehab SUCKS. Why would I EVER want to do this again? I'm just not going to drink or use anymore. I am a non-drinker/non-user now." Continued with outpatient rehab and individual psychotherapy, the latter of which is useful in managing my life. People ask if my sobriety is "rock solid" and I don't even think in those terms, as I'm not working on being sober. Meetings were just keeping me in the world of addiction, I dropped them as soon as I started inpatient therapy and never went back. I didn't make a "big plan," but one kinda evolved.

No matter you're journey, sounds like you're there as well. CONGRATULATIONS. Cravings are just habits, they have no control over you when you've decided that's it's all over, baby blue.