View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Meadow123 View Post
The man I have been in love with for a year has a switch when he is drinking. I never thought he had a problem although he has a family history of ugly alcoholism. He is a gentleman, kind, sweet and loving but sometimes and I believe it is when he is drinking he calls or texts mean messages. Very hurtful and opposite of what he says to my face. He now is insulting my son and my parenting. I feel this a line that cannot be uncrossed. I wonder is this the truth buried deep and brought out by the "courage" of alcohol. I really do not understand how someone can be so romantic and beautiful and then so mean.Is this what a raging alcoholic is? They rage with anger at the ones they love when fueled by alcohol?
Welcome Meadow, sorry for what brings you here though.

Well it's a common term for a reason I suppose? It's not uncommon for an alcoholic to go in to a rage (based on what I have seen).

He obviously has anger issues, perhaps all the time (and masked) or maybe only when he is drinking. I guess the question is, does it matter which it is? He is drinking so that anger will surface.

This is abuse. How far can he go? Insult your cooking? The way you drive? How about the way you look? Well she took that.

How about her parenting and her child? Do you see a progression here? It's not much fun fighting all by yourself so if you aren't coming to the fight he will just keep upping the ante until you do.

Personally, I would walk away. If a man can insult your child what is the limit of his anger and projecting?

Actually I know of a couple where they were both remarried and both had adult children. Wife B didn't like the child from Marriage A, she was a bit - unbalanced and liked to pit her children against the child from his first marriage.

The Husband didn't want to rile wife B so he didn't stick up for his Son, in general, when disparaging remarks were made. I'm sure I don't have to tell you the damage it did to the relationship between the Father and Son. That's a betrayal that's hard to come back from.