View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fearlessat50

Congrats on day 6! I love books about personal recovery stories as well as educational books on alcoholism and addiction and what it does to the brain. I also follow Buddhist principles for living so I have that in common with you. I have read Refuge Recovery and it is good.

From Anna’s list, I’ve also read One breath at a time (another Buddhist oriented path to 12 steps), Allan Carr’s Easy way to control alcohol (one of my favs), Clean by David Scheff (as well as his book Beautiful Boy about his son’s meh addiction. Also enjoyed reading The Fix online recovery site which his son contributes to), Realm of Hungry Ghosts, Alcohol Explained.

Other great books: moments of clarity, Drinking by Caroline Knapp, Bottled, Unwasted, Blackout. Buddha’s Brain is not about recovery per se, but helped me a lot in changing habits in thinking and behavior, which has directly aided my recovery. I recently read Russell Brands Recovery: Freedom from our addictions. He talks about how 12 steps and HP in a secular way and how the steps can work for everyone not just those recovering from substance abuse. He is crude but funny and I like his sense of humor.