Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Guener

What Was I Thinking - Revisiting Brain Fog

So, I know that this has been discussed in the past, but since it's happening to me now and bothering me, I thought I'd share.

Now, nearly six months into sobriety, I'm experiencing moments that are somewhat embarrassing at work where my brain just stops when I'm trying to remember something, even a fact that should just pop up in my head without question. It happens at other times, too, it's just more distressing when it makes one feel foolish in front of your boss. It can be as simple as a name or more complicated, like remembering what happened a few hours past.

I understand that my brain may be just "re-wiring" after decades of severe alcoholic abuse, or at least that's what I attribute it to given my history. While I'm working on a task I can usually focus on that well enough, it's more episodes of my brain just freezing up and refusing to give me the information I am seeking when I'm asked something on the fly. My father had a traumatic brain injury last year, and I see him going through this, albeit in much more severe forms. I feel like I'm waiting for my brain to catch up sometimes.

I'm watchful of my nutrition, try to get some exercise (walking) in each day, and I don't think it's due to my depression medication, although it could be that I need less of that now and need to ask about that next time I see that doctor. I do have insomnia that wakes me in the middle of the night frequently, so lack of sleep at times probably makes it harder for my brain to get all the downtime it needs now. I'm trying to do the right things to support my body and mind.

For now I am going to try to live through this with the best humor that I can and not let it frustrate me too greatly. Hopefully, over more time, I will see this subside and remember how grateful I need to be that I don't have a "wet brain". Physical recovery seems to be something that extends beyond detoxing in the beginning.

Thanks for reading ...

Last edited by Guener; 10-25-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Grammar