View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Guener

I am of the opinion that recovery takes many different forms and that AA attendance is a very powerful way to achieve abstinence and to retain it. Doing the steps can be fundamental to getting the most out of AA, but it is not a requirement. The general tenants and philosophy of AA can be helpful in a lot of other areas in life as well and are not excluded from you in participating but not doing the steps.

Perhaps the emphasis on the spiritual aspect of AA is what brings you pause not to do the steps, but even as an Atheist they do not bring me discomfort, for I can follow the spirit of their intent (and action) in meaningful ways. Not all would agree with me that it is possible to re-state the steps in ways that I can follow and fully benefit from working them, nor would every AA member necessarily feel they could be my sponsor because of that. If you find you are feeling pressured, you can politely explain that you are not ready to do the steps and you are feeling uncomfortable. I think that most AA members will still respect you for just your being present.

I am returning tomorrow to my first AA meeting in two years. Was I sober throughout that hiatus? No. What I have found is that when I was going, I was not drinking, and I want to stay that way.