View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
joandmelandhan

Welcome Rustoleum
Congratulations on your 6.5 days of hard earned sweet sobriety!
It is quite tempting to pre-empt a future relapse, especially if that has been your pattern of attempts at sobriety to-date.
So yes - one day at a time!
I would recommend diving into as much recovery material as you can right now as you are getting mentally stronger and everything you can do to strengthen your commitment to sobriety is time well spent.
Like you I too have a secular approach but I would say keep an open mind and leave no stone unturned in your quest for long-term sobriety. We are after all saving our lives here.
Planning and preparation too are incredibly important. You will know from experience the situations when you may be vulnerable to temptation. In those situations you need a rock solid plan.
For example Friday nights were horrendous for me for a few months. I had a plan to keep me safe (a little like a house arrest to be honest) plus I would read recovery material and watch YouTube videos on advanced alcoholism to keep the fear alive once the memories of my own addiction began to fade.
Another area to consider is a list of things to do when the craves hit - because in all likelihood they will. I had things like eat a meal, down a pint of water, go for a walk, have a hot shower, cry, call my sister etc etc...…
Just one last thing that came to mind too. Please don't despair if you feel like it is taking a very long time to get through the worst of the cravings etc. Y ou are on your own unique journey and it will take as long as it needs to. I personally have so much pride looking back that I didn't cave in even when I was growing sick and tired of the fight. It was worth every tear shed and life is so much simpler and meaningful without the dreaded poison.
Take care xxx