View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
Thank you for your introspective post.
Sounds to me like your values trumped your addiction. That's what happened when thousands of Vietnam Vets came back to the US having been previously addicted to heroin. That's what happened with 40% of people quit smoking when the Surgeon General put a cancer warning on cigarettes. That's what happened even with rats (Rat Park) when the preferred company of other rats and objects to play with instead of isolation and drugs.

Dennis Prager, at Prager University, summarizes what is most important in life. "What is the most important thing in life? Money? Happiness? Love? Those things are certainly important, but what matters most is good values. What are values? They are what we consider more important than our feelings. For instance, just about everyone feels like eating junk food, but if you eat whatever you feel like eating you will end up obese and unhealthy. So then, what stops people from eating all the food they feel like eating? The answer is good values. Indeed a lack of good values is the root of virtually everything wrong with the world. We should act based on values rather than our feelings."
Completely agree. I forget when I read it but I've heard this and it's on point. The line I read was 'when your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction'. I think this is true, at least in my case. Still requires work, sacrifice and effort, but so does living a good life.