Thread: Self Confidence
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Spider

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
I like your choice of music - great style. Another apathetic high-schooler of the early 90s maybe? F you I won't do what you tell me. Story of my life...

Tool is my go to. I mean... who does Yoga to Tool? Though I do so love the transcendental nature of their lyrics and music... their urging to keep pushing against yourself and what you've been taught.... to 'spiral out'... to see what is out there... and to look into your shadows and confront your demons. O if such inspiration could be in every bit of media we consume...

It dawned on me while doing my thing on Saturday that I really didn't care for whatever image is associated with the title Yoga. I was breathing... responding to what my body was communicating... inspiring myself with empowering and challenging art. It was my own unique thing and I need more of it. Pretty sure we all could use more of it.

I say quit drinking and playing small ball - go find who you are and what you do and then... do it.

-B
Aight, B....great post; this is some positive insanity I can get behind. I think I'll start a new thread in it's honor.

As to the apathy, no...I wish. A calm mind would have served me better as far as the booze goes, I think. And I was a teen in the mid 80's....mid 20's in the 90's.

I do like Tool as a studied model in music. Danny Carey's metronome like, lightning fast, and Bonham power is something to marvel at. Maynard is a force too (love the story of he and Bill Hicks as well). I think his side project's redundancy in it's title (A Perfect Circle) adequately describes the styles.

My tastes are eclectic though; I do find great inspiration in the complexity of Brahms, the humor in the Hayden's false endings, the sheer force of George Clinton's Atomic Dog and Maggot Brian, the songwriting genius (and playing) of Prince, the bombastic fun funk of the Chili Peppers...SO many more.

Thanks for the insightful reply. It made me smile, for real....and inspired my track list for today's workout.