View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik
saoutchik

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

Just stopping drinking on its own was too hard for me, the desire to drink was too strong. I just want people to know there is a least one way of loading the dice in your favour and reducing the cravings rather than simply overcoming them with willpower.

I don't know if it is a result of my age and upbringing but I am not a particularly spiritual person. I am quite envious of people who are able to get help from things like meditation, mindfulness or yoga. These seem very logical and contain good practise and principals but for whatever reason do not seem suit me whereas a hard physical challenge is something I can understand. I wanted people to know that there are also practical, physical steps that you can take which help you arrive at the good place that otherwise seems out of reach.

A big, positive set of side benefits have been overall fitness greatly improved (from an extremely low base) weight loss, reduced blood pressure, better sleep and much reduced depressive feelings and improved mood and outlook. The only downside I can think of was that one time while I was jogging I got chased by small dog - and I had to replace all of my fat boy clothes. A small price to pay.