View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

Kidneys can be badly affected by alcohol use--all organ systems can be damaged, and it isn't always easy to measure what caused the damage, so I don't think you can be certain that past or current drinking is not a factor.
The brain and nervous system can also have lifelong damage from alcohol abuse--chronic lack of vitamin B, common in alcoholics, can lead to something like this which has some symptoms in common with what you are seeing:

https://www.webmd.com/brain/wernicke...syndrome-facts

A doctor is of course needed to check if this may be the case or not.

What does your gut tell you about him drinking now?
Typically a spouse will know in their heart if there has been a relapse and usually they are right.

He can't be drinking and also a dry drunk.
He's one or the other, and hopefully someday he will choose the third option, recovery, which is the only one that will have a good outcome.

There is a person on Friends and Family who talks about a method called CRAFT, which involves the family in recovery.

The trouble is, you really have to have the alcoholic at least be honest about their drinking / that they have a problem and also their willingness to really embrace change.

I think if someone won't admit they have a problem or be fully willing to fix it whatever it takes, the outcome cannot be positive.

As long as you keep the house and family together, whether or not he works or drinks, he has little incentive to really seek recovery--I think that's what people are trying to say.

I really hope things work out well for all of you and he chooses recovery.