Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
LoveHateWhine

Good Morning weekenders.

Just checking in this morning before heading out for a walk and then a trip into the city to a concert later on. So nice to read of all the long time sobriety some of you have. 6+ years, 2+ years, WOW. I'd like to get past 30 days in a row.

My friends visit last night was good but difficult. The reason they are here is that her brother is an alcoholic in very, very bad shape. Very bad. Every time he goes on a bender, his health deteriorates wore than he last time and she flies up here to stay with him a few weeks to "make sure he doesn't drink". (She lives 1200 miles away). Then when she goes back home, he manages to not drink for a few months but then goes on a worse bender and she flies back here. Vicious cycle that has been going on for about 2 years now.

He has been told by his "liver doctor" that IF he recovers from this last bender and drinks again, he will die. He has all but destroyed his liver and kidneys. He is getting a blood transfusion tomorrow. Surprisingly, he does not have cirhossis, but I guess that doesn't matter, he has all these other issues.

Anyway, they know about my DUI but do not know about my overall drinking issues and I very nicely said that perhaps when he recovers, he could get some support from AA or some other type of program. She started screaming at me that he "he has a disease and AA will not cure him". I was a bit taken aback and quickly changed the subject. Her Significant Other said "I don't think he wants to get better". That is very sad, but probably very true.

I am trying to be compassionate and understanding. I just wan't prepared to be screamed at like that. Actually I am a bit resentful, because I cancelled some other plans I had made to be able to visit with them. I consider them to be good friends. They only stayed a very short time because she wanted to get back home to him to "make sure he didn't drink while we were gone". I asked her how she was going to ensure he doesn't drink once she goes back home. She just shrugged her shoulders.

I will continue to be the best friend that I can be and try to support her but it is hard to remain quiet about the whole thing. That said, I do realize that nothing I say will make a difference and all I can do is be here for her. I don't think it is going to end well.

OK, enough of that. I hope everyone has had a pleasant weekend. Thank you so much for being here. I am so glad I found this thread.