View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jimz

Another Forum I belong to has just been discussing this subject.

A physician on that forum wrote stating that many foods contain some alcohol. For example orange juice contains about the same alcohol as NA beer, and one cannot get drunk on orange juice -- they would have water intoxication first.

Another likened drinking NA beer to drinking decaffenated coffee -- why bother.

I personally drink decaf coffee after lunch -- I personally think some of the better grinds taste just fine. I also have drunk NA beer in the past when I was still drinking because I couldn't afford any alcohol on board at that time --- and occasionally I have found one that was ok, but I switched to the real thing as soon as I could.

The general consensus on the other forum was that one's intention for drinking NA beer has to be examined. If there is any chance that you will be tempted to drink the real thing because of memories the taste of NA beer triggers, steer clear of it. (I, personally, won't touch NA beer at this point). If, however, you enjoy it as a beverage with a taste you like and are not thinking of getting high -- go ahead.

On a slightly different subject:
I have been very impressed in the past 10 years or so when driving around Great Britain on holiday that most pubs now have a NA beer (bitter) on draft. I have tried a few, and they weren't bad. Of course, at the time, I was looking for the buzz, so I immediately switched to the "real thing." I did notice, though, that a number of people seem to routinely drink it at the pub-- even to the point that the "bartender" automatically drew it for them.

Just my 2 cents' worth. I haven't verified the alcohol facts for orange juice, but the figure the physician gave for NA beer was right on the mark (if only my memory was better as what the actual numbers are).

Cheers --

Jim