View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^^^
And, as soon as you quit drinking, start taking the steps.
It might be important to define what is meant by quitting. The reason I needed to take the steps was because I could not quit entirely, so the ability to quit came as the result of the steps or at least making a start on them.

There were times when it looked like I quit on my own but in trith that was just time between drinks. If you wack a guy in hospital so he can't drink, he has not necessarily quit, it may just be time between drinks. You see it all the time in AA. Someone comes along, stays dry for a few weeks or months without doing anything else other than meetings, then they pick up again. They never really quit, it was just time between drinks.

The idea is to use that time between drinks where you may not have quit entirely (only time reveals the answer to that) to get into the steps to make it possible to quit for good.

I don't know if it is possible to take any steps while actually drunk, except maybe the first, but I do know that drunks can hear things which is why we try not to chuck them out of meetings.