Old 09-25-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
have a huge period of abstinence
You have gotten good comments....so I point this out gently. I highlighted this phrase because 140 days IS a great achievement.

It is not a huge period of abstinence, however.

Moreover, if it is just abstinence, which is the very first step, it might not be Recovery. That distinction is important to me because just not drinking wouldn't change me for the better.

It's just past four months. A time when focusing on ourselves vigilantly is so critical. If we plan on permanent sobriety, even if we help by phrasing that one day or situation or whatever at a time, you are very new.

Relationships sober took and take a lot of effort for me. Being responsible for someone else's emotions was not something I could do for awhile.

There are lots of thing we have to change and learn about ourselves first, before we are best suited to take on others.

Now you are at a new beginning that you can proceed from differently than before.

Committing to AA and rcovery program that will help you choose not to do things rather than not mean to do things, like you have shared, is a great plan. You can do it.