Thread: Week 9
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NerfThis

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
Though I do wonder if I can drink socially in future.
This sentence is unfortunately something I believe too many people have thought after a long stint of sobriety. Successfully abstaining for so long gives the false impression that because you've controlled yourself and not consumed at all, you can now somehow 'control' and moderate by only drinking on certain occasions.

Remember that not drinking at all is a LOT easier than trying to moderate when you do drink. The likelihood is you'll go into that social gathering some time in the future thinking 'Yes, I did XX amount of days sober and feel great. I've got this. I'm in control' then weeks, maybe days later you'll be back on the forums at square one.

63 days truly is a fantastic achievement. Congratulations! I'm on day 53 myself and I know that no matter how fantastic I feel right now, I can NEVER forget those occasions where I thought it was safe to moderate, because eventually that one casual drink always results in the same terrible path. Being sober for long means we sometimes forget why we're doing it or how difficult dealing with alcoholism was, but take one drink and you'll very, very quickly remember.

*EDIT* Apologies, but couldn't see all the replies above when I posted! I've basically repeated what Dee said, haha.