Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fearlessat50

I never liked the term alcoholic. It conjures up images of homeless drunks (at least for me, because that’s what I was taught). I’ve read and also saw a documentary on drinking that doctors are getting away from this term - maybe for the same reason - and now calling alcohol problems “alcohol use disorder” which is a spectrum. I do think the term is more fitting with everything we now know about alcoholism and addiction. I do also believe there is a scale of dependency. But just because one may not be chemically dependent or because one may not need a medical detox or rehab to quit doesn’t take away from the fact that there is a problem. The first time I quit, it was for 3 months with no urges or cravings whatsoever, then a social pressure led to a relapse and my drinking got worse. Next I went six months, then nine with the very same thing. Never an urge or craving, then wham out of nowhere I drank again and I was worse than before. I’m now almost two years and really hoping I never relapse again. I don’t plan on it and am working very hard at my sobriety now and will continue for a life time. It’s interesting because even with my worst period of relapse and drinking and knowing I had a problem, I still drank less than some folks I know who don’t believe they have a problem. The reason why I know it’s a problem for me is because of being self aware and educating myself re addiction.