View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Two weeks is awesome.

I have a daughter and have also done some pretty scary stuff while drunk. And it is something I have to live with daily.

What I have tried to do is give her the safety and freedom to express, without reserve, what has happened. I too have apologized, again and again. And apologies are good but the bottom line is I live the apology by staying strong, consistent, compassionate and forgiving. And sober. And it hurts like he!!.

She is angry and she has every right to be. The trick is to allow her to express that anger so she doesn't turn that anger on herself. And for me to be able to receive that anger without feeling sorry for myself and picking up a drink.

I'm the child of an alcoholic and I always thought that if my parents had just 'talked' to me openly, even once, about the insanity, that it somehow would have helped. If they had just acknowledged it and said 'sorry'. But I see in my daughter that it really amounts to a hill of beans. I've hurt her and the injuries take some time to even come out....even more time to heal.

It's a long, challenging process. But the only logical and responsible/adult way through it is sober. Growing the he!! up and demonstrating emotional maturity is key to helping my daughter avoid becoming me. I can never undo what I've done, but I can hopefully prevent her from walking the same path. So, its ALL about her.

Hang in there. Be strong for them and yourself. It will get better....but it takes time. It is actually ok to feel bad. I know that doesn't sound very hopeful but you're learning to deal with the good, the bad and the ugly. That's life. You'll get thru provided you don't drink.