View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
billck1

Long time drinker

Hi All,

My first time posting.
Thought it worth telling my story so far. I have been drinking for 45-46 years as I am 61 years old.
I was initially in a very powerful job in London and as a very young man of 20 years old.
I was that good at my profession and I was constantly in meetings with 40 to 50 year old senior professionals.
Looking back this was a very anxious situation and all my life I had been informed by society (without questioning this) that alcohol is a good calming tool.
My life has been stressful as I am a driven individual and it was only on my 60th Birthday celebrations, with constant drinking that I realised that alcohol was making me unwell.
I stopped there and then and have not touched a drop from that moment on. I would say I was a moderate drinker as I was not constantly drinking but when I did it was difficult to stop.
The initial feelings from withdrawal were horrible as I had the first time in my life a depressive episode which shocked me at how helpless and pointless I felt life was.....scary. Thereinafter I have had the most awful anxiety, scared of social situations and the dark etc.
Over the last few months (I have been sober for 388 days now) things have been improving but boy, was this an awful year of literally frightening anxiety.
I am sorry for the long post but felt it worth mentioning my age and drinking duration for those who think it is hopeless in later years to stop.

Take care all.