View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik
saoutchik

Thank you Dee, I know you have a lot on your plate and thought you might have forgotten.

I was going to OP with this if you had.

Fridays. It was the anticipation that signalled the arrival of another weekend. A working week with its pressures and disappointments, drawing to a close. Aa a younger man it meant I would soon be lost in a kaleidoscope of pubs, bars and clubs and my drinking meant I remember none of it. It also meant I had only intermittent success with the opposite sex who were often in the same state as I was.

As a middle aged divorced person, Fridays and Saturdays were an even sadder story of going home, making a few phone calls to pretend I was OK and then slumping in front of the TV with a bottle of scotch for some sustained alcohol abuse.

Waking up Saturday and Sunday? Awful. Living hell, it really was, being alive was physically and mentally a pain. Self destruction writ large and without even a real motive.

SR is about breaking out of our cycle of despair and Weekenders is for the time when the urge to self destruct is at its peak for many of us. We can post and share common experiences, good or bad, funny or serious so one minute there might be a debate about Spam or Snagglepuss but if someone is struggling everyone rallies round.

At the end of the day it's about reclaiming our humanity from a ruthless gaoler. Isn't it?