View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Branches

Well, I'm going going to say something a little different, but that's just me. I do respect everyone's opinion that has posted. They are wiser and soberer for longer. But, apparently your doctor and you have chosen a different route for I presume good reasons, so I'm gonna try to be somewhat supportive. The fact that you have been able to limit and control your drinking and taper down is good. To me, IMHO, that sounds like your drinking hasn't gotten to the point that once you pick up a drink for the evening, all bets are off. and you drink yourself senseless. However, the fact that you can limit your drinking may lull you into thinking, "Hey, I am doing okay. I'll just go one week longer this way so I can have a couple drinks when we go out to dinner with the so-and-sos and then I'll quit." THAT kind of devil-on-your shoulder voice can really throw a monkey wrench into your plans to get sober. Next thing you know, you're having three or four drinks with the so-and-sos, and then quitting gets postponed until after the holidays, etc.

Tomorrow does happen to be Friday, so if the weekend is your quitting time, use tomorrow to stock up on things like ice cream, chocolate, nutritious food, fun things to distract you at cocktail time, like great flavored fizzy waters are a good substitute. Then surprise yourself and the little devil and tell yourself "Today I quit." Good luck! I'll join you in not drinking tomorrow night.