Thread: Two weeks sober
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aardvajk

Congrats on two weeks.

I just wanted to make a point about AA and religion. I struggled with AA for this reason about seven years ago when I did my first year of sobriety there. I left after a year, had a few more years sober then relapsed for eight months and have recently re-entered the rooms.

I remain an agnostic humanist. I can only speak for my own local area and for myself but, perhaps with a few more years of growing behind me, I have realised this time that most of the issues there were of my own making.

This time around, I am finding that as long as I give the same respect to other people's beliefs as I expect for mine (something I know I didn't do last time), 99% of my previous issues just haven't occurred. I am navigating the rooms and the program as an openly secular person and it is fine. I even have a sponsor now.

"Take what you want and leave the rest" is what I was always told. I hope this post itself doesn't come across as pushy or judgemental. I just wanted to share my own experience as a fellow secular person in recovery.

Best wishes.