Old 09-02-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you are still struggling. I was not suggesting that it was "easy" to conquer my mental illness, I struggled with it literally for years - decades if you count all the years I tried to self-medicate. I worked with doctors, several different counselors, and tried different meds too.

I think the message that needs to be heard here, especially for newcomers, is that there are solutions to be sought. And giving up should never cross our minds because we never know when we'll find something that works.

Originally Posted by John65 View Post
Good luck to you WL, quitting drink/drugs long term can be difficult to achieve but it is possible.

If only things were so easy. For some it’s ‘very treatable’, for some others it’s certainly not so. Especially when diagnosed late, as in this instance and meds often do not work the same for those of us who have abused amphetamines in our pasts, prior to diagnosis.

As well as meds I’ve tried pretty much everything there is and my AADD is untreatable.

Yes, of course they do but that doesn’t mean that ADHD itself isn’t a very serious disorder for some of us living with it . Substance misuse is one of the biggest issues with ADHD and other high risk behaviour too plus there’s an increased risk of suicide.

I think some people don’t understand just how serious this can be and how difficult it can make life. Just to function on a day to day basis can be a real struggle.