Old 08-27-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FlawedNFntastic

I got sober after 30+ years of drinking and it was like my body didn't trust me. It didn't know what to do with actual food and when I was actually hydrated.

My skin was so bad for the first 3-4 months (and it was never bad, not even in the throes of puberty) that I was googling symptoms and trying to figure out what dire skin condition I'd come up with. Guadalajaran toxic frog dermatitis? I would not have been surprised.

I had to learn how to do most things sober, like sleep, eat, work, have relationships, all the life stuff that I should have had figured out long ago. But I did it, and it wasn't impossible. I kind of threw myself into working out as a way to pass the time that I'd spent drinking, so that helped a lot.

Everyone's journey is different, so the best advice I've gotten is listen to your body. If you think something might be wrong, visit the doctor (and be honest with medical personnel, no matter how awful it sounds in your head). Don't hold up some weight loss goal as being your reward for sobriety. I did think I'd look like a freaking supermodel within 48 hours of putting the bottle down. Shocker; I didn't. And that's totally fine with me.