View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cascabel

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
My wife is on antidepressants and gabapentin, and I feel she is a changed person , sometimes for the better and sometimes not. For example , early in morning she is irritable as well as late at night, this to me seems like the medication is actually controlling her., , she is always tired , lacks energy , and at times does not remember things and is somewhat in a fog so to speak. I think this is common with others I know also, so are we just substituting pills for the alcohol? I do realize that alcohol is far worse than antidepressants but why can't people just deal with reality , life is not always a bed of roses , we will always feel emotions good and bad we just have to learn to deal with them. My doctor asked me if I wanted some anti-anxiety medication, I said no, I told him I think the medical field is over prescribing oillls for everything. I will deal with my anxiety which is only bad when I drink. Woody Hates had a qoute I remember with fondness, when asked if he had any regrets for being fired after an emotional outburst and punching an opposing player, he said " no I am emotional guy , " I just pick myself up and dust myself off". I think we alcoholic's should be more like him, rather than feel sorry for ourselves and seek help in the form of pills, and also I believe the group therapy of AA, is strongly negative and it keeps a person down as well, when they should be looking at the positive side of things , instead of dwelling about the past. Perhaps I am wrong, I am an alcoholic but am beginning to think there are other ways with dealing with my drinking problem besides medicating and going to meetings and beating myself up, I am what I am, I made myself an alcoholic it was my choice to drink, and it will be my choice to remain sober without negative group therapy and pills. I just had to get this off my chest , enjoy the day
I don’t agree with your “just suck it up” philosophy. Unless you have suffered from depression I don’t think you have any idea what it is like. It isn’t just feeling a bit down, it is an unending and crushing sense of hopelessness and pointlessness. I went through a six month spell of depression; I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Temporary medication finally put an end to it, thank heavens. If you don’t know anything about how depression feels it’s probably best to keep your opinions to yourself.