View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bunchie

Why all the medication? Face reality

I have been on this website for the past month and I have learned so much from so many. However I am beginning to realise that many who are sober are on antidepressants and other drugs to quell their anxiety. My wife is on antidepressants and gabapentin, and I feel she is a changed person , sometimes for the better and sometimes not. For example , early in morning she is irritable as well as late at night, this to me seems like the medication is actually controlling her., , she is always tired , lacks energy , and at times does not remember things and is somewhat in a fog so to speak. I think this is common with others I know also, so are we just substituting pills for the alcohol? I do realize that alcohol is far worse than antidepressants but why can't people just deal with reality , life is not always a bed of roses , we will always feel emotions good and bad we just have to learn to deal with them. My doctor asked me if I wanted some anti-anxiety medication, I said no, I told him I think the medical field is over prescribing oillls for everything. I will deal with my anxiety which is only bad when I drink. Woody Hates had a qoute I remember with fondness, when asked if he had any regrets for being fired after an emotional outburst and punching an opposing player, he said " no I am emotional guy , " I just pick myself up and dust myself off". I think we alcoholic's should be more like him, rather than feel sorry for ourselves and seek help in the form of pills, and also I believe the group therapy of AA, is strongly negative and it keeps a person down as well, when they should be looking at the positive side of things , instead of dwelling about the past. Perhaps I am wrong, I am an alcoholic but am beginning to think there are other ways with dealing with my drinking problem besides medicating and going to meetings and beating myself up, I am what I am, I made myself an alcoholic it was my choice to drink, and it will be my choice to remain sober without negative group therapy and pills. I just had to get this off my chest , enjoy the day