Old 08-23-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BrandNewDay11

Welcome back Kamm. I came back to this forum a little more than 3 months ago and it's truly what helped me get past those early days. Remember to use this forum to keep you accountable. I found the daily sobriety pledges so helpful, as well as reading and posting each and every day early on. The wisdom and advice I got here is truly priceless.

One of the most helpful tools I picked up here was to re-train my mind to associate getting drunk with something so vile and undesirable that I truly would never want to get drunk again. I discovered that drinking cravings were nothing more than my beast-brain (the part of me that wanted to keep drinking) glorifying being drunk, romanticizing it, while ignoring the ugly reality that it was actually destroying my mind and body and my life.

I'm at a place now that the thought of ever getting drunk again is baffling. Why would I want to spend the money, consume the calories, isolate myself (near a toilet of course for the endless peeing) only to get my mind to a state where I'm not in control and will likely forget half of what I did anyway? For the reward of short burst of "good feelings" the buzz gives me? I can get that buzz naturally now through exercise and activity, only now I wake up the next day rested and clear headed, feeling good about myself instead of passing out on the couch at 9, waking up at midnight and spending the next 7 hours staring at the ceiling, and the next day sleep deprived, nauseous and dehydrated, not to mention ashamed, embarrassed, and anxious. It really is a no brainer.

Good luck and hope to see you around here more.