View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
hugbear

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Hi hugbear,

I do find it hard to admit to others its my only way. Right now I am just trying to put some time between me and my last drink. I will worry about what everyone else thinks down the road if I have to.

I agree with you I hope I am dealing with this early enogh to move forward and not have many more consequences from my past. Hoping to heal.

My relapses taught me a lot about the ways the AV has hijacked my brain and convinced me to drink. I feel much better now. The thing is I never got to physical dependency or withdrawals or round the clock drinking so there are many openings my AV likes to use in saying I was not bad enough to quit entirely.

I think approaching this 40 milestone I knew I wanted to quit at this time earlier in the year. I didnt do an all out binge or anything as it got closer, I just accepted the fact that after 25 years its time to go another direction in my life.

The relapse did not make me sure necessarily, but that relapse started almost 5 years ago.

One thing I learned is, if I relapse I usually dont come right back to sobriety. So the idea of drinking for a weekend and starting over is laughable for me.

I thought about it lots and I think sobriety is the best 40th birthday present I can give myself.

Hope you keep going sober and keep coming back here
Thanks fallow - I wish you the same on your journey of healing.

I've reached an emotional crossroads with drinking and now I see it for what it is, I don't want it in my life.

Go safe.