Old 08-17-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Some great ideas here - I'd concur with the idea that resentment usually boils down to my unmet expectations - also embarrassment, fear and envy.

Some things I do, not mentioned yet - will it matter in a week, a month, a year, 10 years, 50 years.

Eventually you get a point where no is the answer. Helps me to let it go.

The other thing is old fashioned but... prayer.
Genuinely pray for those you have a resentment with, pray for forgiveness

Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It is about letting go of another person's throat......Forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established.........Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive. But should they finally confess and repent, you will discover a miracle in your own heart that allows you to reach out and begin to build between you a bridge of reconciliation.........Forgiveness does not excuse anything.........You may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second day, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you will realize that you have forgiven completely. And then one day you will pray for his wholeness......”

The Shack by William Paul Young.