Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Buckley3

For me I had to recognize the AV at work and sort of flip the switch on my perspective about not drinking.

I'm not missing anything. Not drinking isn't a sad state of affairs. It's not some kind of funeral that I should weep over. Not drinking isn't me losing some part of my self - at least, not any part of myself that is healthy and constructive.

No. Not drinking is cause for celebration. Be excited about the opportunities not drinking creates. The freedom it brings. The relief in finally being honest with ourselves and ending - for good - the lie and all the wasted energy of keeping up the image and all the other b.s..

Might sound cheesy, but I read a Tony Robbins book a long time ago where he suggested associating a really nasty, gross image in your mind with any habit you want to break. After repetition it tricks your brain into associating the negative thoughts that come with the image with the habit, thereby making it easier to break the habit and re-wire the brain. Not sure to what degree, but I think there's at least something to this.

Bottom line is we have to see what alcohol and its effects in our lives really are - not the romanticized image of it our AV puts in front of us all the time.

See it for what it is - the hangovers, the money spent, the wasted time, the maintenance of an image so people don't find out, etc. etc..

Best to you, keep working it it does get better - especially if you can start seeing it for what it is and recognize the AV voice. If you haven't already I'd highly recommend checking out some stuff with AVRT.

-B