View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Buckley3

A few thoughts:

What I find curious is why take the pill in the first place? Was it for pain? Then why not go to a doctor and discuss - especially the aspects of sobriety - and get a prescription? Might be fine, might not. But opiates are no joke and shouldn't be taken in any circumstances without the supervision of a pro - and even that is dicey sometimes.

It sounds like a negotiation to me. And curiously absent is any real examination of motive. As soon as I start seeing the equivocation about caffeine and what about cannabis, etc.. red flags and red alerts start going off in my head. That's just flat out negotiation - which is a well known and common tactic of our AV.

There's a very slippery slope to the relativism and equivocation of arguments like "everything is addictive to a point." The problem is that that's technically kind of true in terms of how our brain chemistry works. But if you never draw a line and question motives and values and stop bs-ing yourself and just run in circles in relativistic arguments you'll find yourself in chaos one way or another regardless of how technically sound you think your argument is. Waxing philosophically is pointless if you can't use the information in a concrete, meaningful, constructive way to advance your values.

At some point we have to exert what we value on our world through action. Questioning the motives behind our actions in an honest and transparent way is essential to sobriety IMHO.

Standing outside looking in, I see an ego-centric behavior, I see negotiating terms of sobriety, I see use of an opiate with a tinge of denial that it could be 'a problem,' and I see little to no questioning of why it's even important to find some substance she can put in her body that alters her perception and/or consciousness that can rest outside the definition of an -ism. The technical points of the argument may all be true - and they may stay true as her life descends back into hell. The technical points of the argument will continue - and they'll be of absolutely no help to her if she gets hooked again.

Seems like a lot of energy being spent on something that isn't really necessary anyway. Also seems like a lot of potential for ye ole 'play with fire, get burnt.'

Keep it simple. Stay sober. Commit.

In the big picture, day 1 vs. day 1000 is inconsequential and meaningless really. Being sober right now is everything.

-B