Thread: I Am Lucky
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Buckley3

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Buckley, I am so, so glad this has worked out well in the end. You have grown so much since you first arrived here. I hope you take a moment to appreciate how far you've come. And, your determination to stay sober and your hard work in preparing for court paid off for you.
Thank you Anna.

I'm almost at 6 months sober. 10 days or so from now. It makes my head spin to look back at all the places this road has taken me.

I've seen some posts and reminders lately from the admins here about not forgetting the state of mind newcomers arrive here in. It came to mind again when I got home today and logged on. I don't ever want to forget it.

Being in jail brought back memories of just how fragile I was back then... and just how fragile I can become again. I don't want to underestimate just how powerful hearing "I'm here, you aren't alone" can be in the moment.

I was in a pod with 40 other males. Every single case alcohol or drug use was - IMHO - either the root cause or very much a player in why people were there. Sadly, I left thinking there were probably only 1 or 2 who were serious about trying to get clean. And of those I could see how scared they were about it, how uncertain they were... especially in those conditions.

The scale and enormity of the damage drugs and alcohol do to people has been in my face on several occasions over the last 6 months - not to mention my own situation. I hope in the future I can contribute and do something to help someone. And again, that's not just charity or wanting to help, I see very clearly now it's necessary in my own recovery so that I never, ever forget or take for granted how quickly my life will become unmanageable should I ever let my guard down.

-B