Thread: I Am Lucky
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Buckley3

Hmm... I wonder how many ways there are to say thank you and I'm grateful...

Thanks. I'm grateful.

Transfer is done. I am home with a GPS ankle bracelet and a breathalyzer kit.

What. An. Experience.

For info purposes - in case anyone is wondering how this all works -

I am still under formal custody of my county's sheriff's department. I will be until mid-January. (I received 7 months in my conviction last Tuesday. Of which, 25% will be discounted assuming 'good time.' That comes to 159 days.)

I have a GPS ankle bracelet and must submit a schedule each week to corrections and I must be at the locations I say when I say it. There is a very long list of rules and restrictions best summarized by - go straight to work, straight home, do not stop in between, do not go anywhere else, do not go without an approved ride, no visitors, absolute sobriety.

I have no complaints whatsoever and intend to keep things very simple and straightforward. They say 'jump', I'll say 'how high would you like me to jump?' My goal is to be the lowest maintenance person they've ever met.

I also have a breathalyzer kit. I'm notified via text randomly throughout the day and then have to take the test within 15-20 minutes of notification. It submits it automatically via the interwebs.

My county's sheriff's department can conduct searches of my home anytime. I figure they will likely drop in on me today to make sure I do not have any alcohol, drugs, or firearms on the premises. I, of course, do not. They can stay for dinner if they'd like.

I am still very much processing events of the last 8 days. It's been an experience unlike anything I've been through - and I've been a fairly.... let's just say 'adventurous'... guy my whole life.

I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. That may seem odd. But I consider myself fortunate to have seen the things I have first hand over the past week. My ordeal is nothing compared to what some people face - are facing. I mean that.

There are a few more hoops to jump through legally - getting re-licensed in late September and then crossing T's and dotting I's. My fines and court costs came to almost $2500.00. I'll have them paid in full by October.

But mostly, the major legal stuff is done. Now it's all about my sobriety and I'm thankful for that too. Front and center.

I'm very excited about the future. And very grateful for all the kind words. I really do hope any of this story is/was/will be helpful for anyone who needs it.

I'm going to rest now and eat. Tomorrow I return to the office and I've got a list of work to do that I'm eager to get to.

Best to all-

B