View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Sure glad to oblige. I count myself as an AAer. Here is my thought on the matter. If we are debating sobriety dates I would simply look at the sobriety date celebration coin for the answer:

To thine own self be true.
Agree and for me, and my understanding of the program of AA none of this is (should be) about shame or judgment of anyone who relapses. I say relapse intentionally bc most of you know I loathe the use of the word slip as it implies accidental use and I always believe we make a choice to use or not.

I don't believe an amount of sobriety is or should be thrown away; however, whether you literally count days or not, AA is about continuous sobriety. That is even asked when giving out chips in many meetings. I also believe it is a slippery slope - most stories I hear of what I am about to say support this- when someone in the program has a drink or two....which is a version of moderation...because it so typically leads to greater "justifiable" use at some point.

Also, I too struggled with a sweet addiction, specifically ice cream and frozen yogurt, after my back injury that had me sidelined, emotionally fraught even depressed at one point...and I saw parallels to my anxiety around having enough yogurt in hand to my past with vodka. I did a step one and rectified my addict brain directing my behavior. I also avoid foods with alcohol, including research ahead of time on menus, learning about what typically includes alcohol , like many pasta sauces, and sending something in question back or stopping to eat it immediately. This works for me.

I do not believe that prescribed and monitored mental health meds are mind altering in the same way as what we commonly call drugs (of which alcohol is indeed one). Medicine is a tool that supports my sobriety, emotional and therefore physical. To me, this is a whole other discussion about things like good drs with addiction expertise for example, efficacy, duration of use, intent, etc.

Again I am speaking from my ESH, experience and two and a half years of listening to others and importantly, observing their behaviors.

Anyone who chooses to drink again should be welcomed back - all AA the program requires is a desire to stop drinking whether it is for the first and only time (my plan which I work daily to execute) or the umpteenth.