Thread: Freshly sober
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I needed medical detox. My GP and my addiction psychiatrist both said I was in a lot of danger if I tried to detox without benzos and medical monitoring of fluids, etc. I ended up not needing a central IV line but I did need benzos. I had to wait a number of hours because they wanted to bring my BAC down further before they started the valium. I was headed towards hallucinosis and seizures, so they caved. It really did take most of the physical pain out of it. Trust me, I've self-detoxed before and I was nearly to that point.

THat was me. I was extremely ill. However, I ended up going to rehab for 30 days after the medical detox, my insurance paid for all but $3K of it and I got disability. There was nothing my employers could do about it, and were forbidden by law to even ask me about my condition (this is in the US). Fortunately I had people to take care of my dog. That 5 weeks gave me such a head start on my sobriety that I'm not sure I wouldn't have gotten it right the first time without it. Not that people don't do multiple rehabs, but it really worked for me. So many say they "can't take the time," but in reality if you can't stop drinking or using otherwise, a job and a family has a lot more pain in dealing with one's addiction than they would with someone getting better.

More of a soapbox thing really. It's not for everyone, and it seems in the UK it's out of reach for most. It's really a shame.

My major point, and i do have one, is that a doctor should be involved if you're having any significant withdrawal symptoms, and its best if it's an addiction doctor rather than just a GP. Had I tried to self-detox there's a good chance i would have died, especially since there was lunesta addiction on top of the alcohol.

Please talk to your doctor. To me your symptoms sound relatively minor, but I AM NOT A DOCTOR.