View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KarltheheretiK

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
Recently a girl with 5 years sober came into a meeting and said that she'd taken an unprescribed oxycontin and was wondering if that constituted as a relapse. She never had a problem with opiates- alcohol was her main thing. Everyone in the meeting encouraged her to pick up a white chip and reset her sobriety date, so she did.

This to me doesn't really seem fair. She is still 5 years sober from alcohol- why should one pill from something you weren't addicted to reset your ENTIRE sobriety?

And where does this leave us with marijuana, CBD, etc? Clearly people in AA drink caffeine alcoholically- why is this not seen as a problem? Afterall, copious amounts of caffeine are somewhat comparable to drugs like adderall or cocaine.

I'm just curious. Since my sobriety date (4/29/18) I haven't indulged in any other substances besides caffeine. But does that mean, if someday I take a hit of a joint, I have to reset my WHOLE sobriety date?

What do you guys think? What are your opinions on marijuana, CBD, anxiety meds, sleeping meds (OTC)?
Making someone restart their sobriety date because of one pill of something they never had an issue with is pure BS. You really didn't say whether it was for recreation or for pain, so that makes a bit of difference, too. I also take exception to this concept of having to string together consecutive days as a measure of your sobriety. If you've been off alcohol for an extended period of time (counted in years) and you have a drink or two, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Now, if you completely fall off the wagon and go back to full-blown drinking, that's a problem. Every person should know their limitations. But nobody should shame another person for one moment of indiscretion. And I wonder how much of this situation was a matter of a bunch of folks dragging that girl down to make themselves feel better.