View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
VigilanceNow

NerfThis posed an essential question - is this because you are concerned that he will go back to problematic drinking (if he was engaging in this at some point) or that it will trigger you to drink because of your alcohol abuse?

It's a good idea for sure to not have any booze in the house; I know for myself, knowing something is there will eat away at me until I either get rid of it or cave in and drink. I know how sickening the smell can be; I still crinkle my nose at those automatic hand sanitizing dispensers!

I have to agree with Nerf, though. I don't think it's fair to ask him to completely stop drinking and going to bars if he maintains control. I even know many people (particularly men) who like having a full bar in the house and a fridge stocked with beer for guests. In an ideal world I would have this too, because for most people it's totally normal to offer someone a casual drink when hanging out.

If you're in early sobriety, which you probably are if the smell and perception of alcohol use is enough to trigger you, it might become necessary to find a different living situation, even if temporarily? That way you two can be together sober, but he'd have somewhere to go after a night at the bars... just a thought!