View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
kevlarsjal2

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I just love you bim.

You have a wonderful way of lightening the mood and reminding us that we CAN, no matter what is happening....

So here is my snake story.....our house in Phillip Island was being built by my dad pretty much on his own and we were living in it (summertime) without fully finished brick walls or insulation yet. We had deck chairs to sit on....my 8 year old sister and myself (4) were watching tv and my sister was complaining because she couldn't hear the show properly and wanted to turn it up, but my baby sister was sleeping so my mum said: no, just move closer. So my sister slid the metal legs of the deck chair an inch or two closer to the tv. And that's when we saw it....an almighty tiger snake on the gold rug about two feet away from us. My sister screamed, I jumped up backwards and my mum ran and grabbed the baby, chucked her in my sister's arms, told us to get out get out and me to run run run Suzanne and get Mr Tetley....neighbour two houses over who had a gun....this is Australia....so not many people do. But he was a country bloke and he had rifles. So I did...ran screaming across the grass "Mr Tetley, Mr Tetley, come quick" and he did....and when we got back to my house, my mum was standing there, in the middle of the lungeroom with dirt and sweat and soaked hair and a broom and a very very dead snake. She had literally bashed it to death. She looked at us and started shaking....and Bill Tetley took the broom out of her hand and hugged her. Told her how brave she was.

Tiger snakes are deadly. This one was over three foot ~ they measured it....my mum passed out after that.

The end.
Jeez, this aussie wildlife! We don't have many snakes here, way too cold, and none of them are deadly. Maybe I would be less fond of them too with that background.