Thread: Refuge Recovery
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cosima11

The Buddhist aspect is a big part of the appeal.. I do think sobriety and spirituality (if we're talking about higher powers and divine intervention) are two completely separate issues. But understanding addiction through the lens of control and attachment is very much how I've been thinking about and understanding it this entire time. I've also been wanting to start some sort of meditation practice, possibly with a group, in a meditation center.. So this would just sort of be a blending the two. Remaining abstinent is no longer a struggle but I do feel like I've gone through a lot emotionally in the past couple months since I quit smoking cigarettes, which became a replacement addiction. It's been a turbulent time and I could still use some emotional healing if I'm honest.

Anyway finding the answers and power within has been a huge and essential part of this journey for me. That doesn't mean it's about my ego, it's about knowing and accepting my "authentic self". Acknowledging my faults but also my strengths. Becoming in tune with my subconscious and recognizing the ways it operates.

And it's true about color! Two people can be looking at the same object and see it as a totally different color. Well maybe not totally different, but different enough to argue over whether its yellow or orange for example. Couldn't agree more there's not a single thing about our external realities that doesn't start with our internal perceptions.